10 April 2013, FRANKFURT, Germany
HARMAN’s JBL Professional today announced the introduction of extended V5 preset support for additional models of its VTX Series and VERTEC® line array loudspeakers. The new V5 preset release enhances a number of performance attributes of JBL VERTEC VT4887A, VT4887 and VT4886 line array loudspeakers and VT4883, VT4882, VT4881A, VT4880 and VT4880A arrayable subwoofers by leveraging the OMNIDRIVEHD™ linear phase FIR processing capability of Crown I-Tech HD DSP power amplifiers.
The new edition of V5 presets includes improvements in horizontal coverage due to the use of higher-order asymmetric filters, refined tonal balance consistency across all models and superior sound quality through the use of arbitrary coefficient FIR phase linearization.
“The feedback we’ve had throughout the V5 pilot program to date has been universally positive and I would anticipate that many end users will find the performance improvements for VT4886, VT4887, VT4887A to be as significant as what was achieved for VT4888 and VT4889,” said Paul Bauman, Senior Manager, Tour Sound, JBL Professional. “The sonic consistency provided by V5 processing will allow all models to ‘play well together’ from a sound design point of view and integration of new generation presets in JBL HiQnet Performance Manager™ system setup software will allow for convenient system configuration as well as simple ‘plug and play’ operation.”
Key features of the V5 update are as follows:
- Comprehensive preset support for Crown Audio IT4x3500HD four-channel DSP power amplifiers for VERTEC subcompact models allowing for convenient system cabling options
- VT4886 1x, 2x, and 3x short-throw (ST) presets include low-frequency coupling compensation for one, two or three enclosures, respectively, providing nominal flat response with equal sensitivity regardless of box count
- Revised VT4886, VT4887, VT4887A long-throw (LT) presets with high-frequency pre-emphasis shelving characteristics that are consistent with V5 processing for all VTX and VERTEC loudspeaker models, providing sonic compatibility when VERTEC models are used in conjunction with VTX for fill applications
- New generation of downfill presets for when VT4887A, VT4887 and VT4886 are suspended below VT4889, VT4888 or VTX V25 line arrays
- Complete cardioid-configuration support for all VERTEC subwoofer models including VT4883, VT4882, VT4881A, VT4880 and VT4880A
Currently undergoing the final stages of beta testing, V5 presets will be available for download on www.jblpro.com at the end of April. VTX and VERTEC V5 presets will also be incorporated into upcoming releases of JBL Line Array Calculator speaker modeling software and JBL HiQnet Performance Manager™ system setup software which will also include comprehensive V5-level preset support for JBL STX and VRX Series loudspeakers.
“The objective throughout the V5 pilot project has been simple—make great sounding speakers and make them easy to use. By expanding the range of JBL loudspeaker models that are supported in Performance Manager with the addition of STX and VRX enclosures, it’s safe to say we’ve surpassed that goal by significantly expanding the sound design tool box that our customers have to work with,” Bauman concluded.